Brought to you compliments of MTC/nbc and its valuable partners, and subsequent to a successful staging of the country’s prominent music event, the Namibia Annual Music Awards (NAMAs) call for entries for 2018 is now open.
The call for entries welcomes all Namibian artists with music/albums commercially released (made available for sale in any recognized retail trade) in Namibia between the 1st December 2016 and 30 November 2017 to submit their applications. The application period starts as of the 08 November 2017 and will run until the 02nd December 2017.
In addition, NAMAs Executive Chairperson Umbi Karuaihe- Upi announced that due to low interest in the Friday evening awards, the NAMAs 2018 will now no longer host an Industry Awards event on the Friday before the main awards show, and therefore, NAMA2018 will be hosted on one main awards event only, on the Saturday, 28th April.
With this change, eleven categories are cut down from the usual thirty-five, resulting in twenty-four categories only open for entries.
The following eleven categories have been removed:
Kizomba and Shambo (due to low entry figures), Radio song of year, NAMA Special award, Best live performance, Best musical event, Entertainment journalist, Radio DJ, Most disciplined artist, Song with a message and Most Socially Responsible Artist of the year.
Ekandjo explained that this is done to afford the NAMA team to focus more on the main event and make it more impactful. He however said that the cut of the 11 categories is not permanent.
The twenty-four categories which are open for entries are:
Afrikaans, Damara Punch, Oviritje, Soukous/Kwasa, Afro Pop, Gospel, Kwaito, R&B, Rap/Hip Hop, House, Reggae, Traditional, Collaboration, Single, Newcomer, Music video, song of the year, pan African artist, best album, best male and female, best group, producer and lifetime achiever.
AMENDMENT TO THE ‘BEST PRODUCER OF THE YEAR’ CATEGORY:
The ‘Best Producer of the Year’ category will now be included within the ‘NAMA2018 Entry Categories’, where previously this category was a non-entry category and the Vetting committee vetted producers based on the albums nominated purely from the ‘Best Album of the Year’ category. So this year Producers must enter into NAMA2018 into this category to be considered for nominations as ‘Best Producer of the Year’.
The NAMAs 2018 is tentatively scheduled to take place on the 28th of April 2018, and applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations before applying.
Ekandjo also encourages different town councils and municipalities to submit their bids to host the country’s premier music event.
Prospective applicants for entries should note the following:
- Entry is free of charge, and artist can enter manually or electronically. For manual entries applications forms must be accompanied by the following, Copy of Identity document, 1x Image disc containing the individual/bands image of album cover in high resolution sized between 500-1000 pixels high and wide not exceeding 1MB and 2x original copies of the album with its cover
- All recordings submitted for the Namibia Annual Music Awards must have been commercially released (in other words first made available for sale by any recognized retail trade) in Namibia during the period 1st December 2016 to 30th November 2017, qualifies for entry. Written proof of release details for the entry period must submitted together with the fully completed entry.
- Artists can either drop entries sealed in envelope at any NBC offices country-wide or at MTC Head Office in Windhoek
- If you have entered online, you will be allowed to submit your physical entry form with your albums after the closing date. The onus still remains on the artist to ensure that a physical entry forms and assets reaches the depository on or before the closing date.
- Depositories outside Windhoek, is at all NBC regional offices, NBC Head Offices and MTC Head Office in Windhoek.
- Online entries are to be submitted to the following URL at www.namaentries.com
- Late entries will be disqualified; entry forms can be downloaded from www.nama.com.na
- For awards rules, entry requirements and other details please visit www.nama.com.na
Subscribe and follow the official digital channels for the Namibian Annual Music Awards and be ahead of multiple exciting announcements to follow over the days and weeks ahead including more live performances, hosts, meet-and-greets with the stars, ticket sales, amazing competition packages, and much more…
Official Website: www.nama.com.na